20 - 25 mins | Serves 6
1 L (4 cups) water
salt, to taste
500 ml (2 cups) Pride maize meal
- Use a heavy-based pot that distributes heat evenly. Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add one cup of the maize meal, but do not stir. Cover and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir vigorously. Repeatedly mash the pap against the side of the saucepan for approximately 2 minutes to get rid of any lumps. Add another cup of maize meal in 3 to 4 batches, stir vigorously and mash after each batch.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, replace the lid and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir. If the pap is a bit too dry for your taste, add a little more water to achieve the desired consistency.
For extra flavour, stir 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter into the pap once cooked.
Serve with milk and sugar or sweetener, with braai meat, or saucy stews.
Discover the whole Pride Maize range here.