Putu (Crumbly Maize Porridge)
30 - 45 mins | Serves 6
500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
Salt, to taste
625 ml (2 ½ cups) Pride Braai Pap
- Use a heavy-based pot that distributes heat evenly. Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the maize meal, but do not stir. Cover and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir with a carving fork to form a fine, crumbly texture. Return to low heat and cover with a lid to steam the maize meal.
- If you prefer a finer texture, fork through the mixture every 5 minutes to avoid big lumps from forming.
- Steam for about 30-45 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
For extra flavour, melt 10 ml butter in the boiling water, before adding the maize meal.
Serve with amasi (soured milk), a tomato and onion gravy, or with milk and sugar or sweetener.
Discover the whole Pride Maize range here.