Creamy Broccolini pasta with Red Speckled Beans
30 mins | Serves 4
Beat the cold weather by making this #EasyDelicious pasta recipe with broccolini and pumpkin seeds, made creamy by adding mashed Pride Red Speckled Beans.
5 Tbsp Olive oil
4-5 Tbsp Pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 Tbsp Chilli flakes (optional)
2-3 Tbsp Water
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic clove, crushed
200g Pasta, like penne or rigatoni
¾ Cup Pride Red Speckled Beans, soaked and cooked
A few sprigs of rosemary, chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper, to taste
Freshly chopped herbs like parsley or chives.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Retain about 1 – 2 cups of the pasta water.
- Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pan and fry the pumpkin seeds until golden. Add chilli flakes and fry for another minute or until fragrant. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil, broccolini and water. Cook with the lid on, stirring often once the water has evaporated, until broccolini starts to char, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil to the pan, along with the chopped onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onion starts to caramelise. Add in the crushed garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant. Add the cooked Pride Red Speckled Beans and chopped rosemary to the pan and cook for a few minutes. Add a cup of the cooking water from the pasta pot to the beans. Add the lemon juice and zest. With a potato masher, break down the beans until you have a creamy sauce. Add more pasta water if required. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and stir it in. Add another ½ – 1 cup of pasta water and cook for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Serve in a bowl with the broccolini and pumpkin seeds arranged on top. Finish with a sprinkle of parsley and lemon wedge.
Tried this recipe? Show us the final results of your Creamy Broccolini Pasta with Red Speckled Beans on Pride Beans, Pulses & Grains’ Facebook Page.