Coconut Lentil Curry with Ginger Yoghurt
1 Hour | Serves 4
This recipe for coconut lentil curry is easy on your pocket and delicious in every way! Opt for #EasyDelicious pulses, like Pride Red Lentils, and give your well-being a boost, thanks to high levels of protein, fibre and other key nutrients like B-vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Yellow onion, medium, roughly chopped
1 Clove Garlic, chopped
3 Tsp Freshly grated ginger
2 Tsp. Mild curry powder
1 Tsp. Cumin seeds
2 Tsp Tomato Paste
400 g canned Whole tomatoes in tomato juice
125 ml Vegetable stock
1 Birdseye chilli, whole
1 Cup Pride Red Lentils
400 g canned coconut milk
1 Cup Plain full cream yoghurt
Salt and pepper, to taste
Freshly chopped herbs like coriander or basil
Fluffy cooked rice
- Sauté onions in 1 teaspoon oil until soft and translucent. Add garlic and 1 teaspoon of ginger, and sauté for another minute or so until fragrant.
- Scrape onion-and-garlic mixture to the side of the pan, add the other teaspoon of oil in the cleared area and once hot, add the seeds and spices. Stir until fragrant, about a minute or so, before mixing the in with the onions.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for about a minute. Add the tomatoes and sauce by crushing them with your hand as you add it to the onions. Add the water and lentils. Pierce the skin of the chilli by poking it with a sharp knife and add it to the mixture. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft; about 35 to 45 minutes. Top up the curry with water if it gets too thick before the lentils are cooked.
- While the curry is cooking, combine the yoghurt and remaining ginger in a small bowl. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the curry over rice with a dollop of the ginger yoghurt and freshly chopped herbs.
Tried this recipe? Show us the final results of your Coconut Lentil Curry with Ginger Yoghurt on Pride Beans, Pulses & Grains’ Facebook Page.